Wednesday 26 March 2014

REVISION: Tips and Tricks


Since this little space on the internet consists of everything from my interests, activities and general chat; I figured even the most laborious of tasks currently consuming the majority of my free time needed to have its shining glory.
Everyone hates studying. Fact. But it's a part of our lives that we unfortunately (as much as we try) can't avoid. Now, I've been attempting to grasp the concept of studying for eh... a while, and so I thought it be time to share what I've found works for me, and what hopefully could work for you.

Organisation:
a trick to keeping the dreaded feeling of procrastination under control is to have some form of timetable or planner; simply to know what you are revising on what day. As sad as it is, I do feel a sense of accomplishment when I'm able to tick the completed tasks off the list.

What sort of learner are you?: 
Figuring out how you learn will come of massive benefit in terms of how you will then try to retain the information. So discussions and listening to the information being said will help auditory learners. Whereas Visual learners (like myself) will benefit from colourful posters and large diagrams. 

Condense, Condense, Condense...:
Now I'm not saying to condense it down to the point where you're obviously missing out vital information, but cutting out all the irrelevant gab present in textbooks will save you a lot of time when it comes to reading over your notes. Also, this technique requires you to actually read and understand the knowledge before then proceeding to simplify it. I go from notes to posters to flash cards; each time consists of shortening and bullet pointing the information to the point where you can recite the stuff in your sleep. 

Start at different points: 
If you're always starting from the beginning of the textbook then you're obviously going to lack interest and concentration towards the end. This means you'll be a whizz at the beginning section but have no clue on the back chapters. Try starting from different points or topics to ensure you have maximum focas when working through all areas. 

Breaks are crucial: 
As much as we try to cram in information for countless hours, it doesn't always help. You'll know when its time for a break when you simply lose interest and start roaming social media, but try building up that concentration span. Start with 20 minutes and keep increasing the time to about an hour before a break is required. This also gives you a chance to let go of any twitter itches and refuel on food before having to throw yourself back in. 

I hope this has helped in some way, good luck to anyone who's got exams ahead of them!

1 comment:

  1. At every tip you mentioned I was like "Yes, I do that. Check." Great post! It's kind of a motivation to me, because I should be studying now instead of browsing through blogs haha :-)

    ReplyDelete