Saturday 7 December 2013

Lets Talk Nail Care


Nail polish has to be the very first beauty product I fell in love with, essentially introducing me to the world that is beauty. Now, I have slight confession to make... I used to bite my nails. Yep, ever heard of a nail addict that used to vigorously tear at her poor nails ... that was me. This was until I discovered nail art and all the wondrous colours that could adorn my fingers. Since then, I would say I keep my nails in quite a healthy condition and will always, and I mean always have polish on. 

Boots Cuticle Remover
Removing the cuticles are a part of not only providing a more healthy manicure but also helping to prolong your polish. This cream simply helps to soften the cuticles, making it easier to push back using either an orange stick or a stainless steel cuticle pusher. 

Nail Buffer
 There are a variety of these 4 way buffers on offer at the drugstore to tame any ridges on the surface of the nail and give a top coat-esque shine. However, if overused, can wear away thin layers and weaken the nail. I personally love this step to give the polish a more even surface but I do suggest only using it when needed and to not provide any extra pressure than required when buffing. 

Glass Nail File
 There are large number of benefits to using a glass/crystal file over a regular emery board. For a start, you can file in both directions! This seals the keratin layers at the edge of the nail which then prevents chipping or peeling. Emery boards are not often used in one direction as recommended so this makes the otherwise laborious task a little easier. 

Base Coat
I find this to be the most crucial step before application. It helps the polish to adhere more easily; act as a barrier to prevent staining and any toxic nasties from absorbing into the nail. There is a wide range on the market that claim to have a variety of benefits; from ridge-filling to strengthening. Basically, There's a base coat to suit just about anyone!

2 comments:

  1. I fell in love with nail polish at an early age too! i just love it!

    Sharlotte xxx

    ReplyDelete