Friday 10 January 2014

THOUGHTS: Rimmel Apocalips in 'Across the Universe'


 Since Rimmel's Release in early 2013, the Apocalips hadn't really crossed my mind until a few new shades were let loose around christmas. 'Across the Universe' immediately caught my eye, being a darker blue toned red. Not to mention the fact that I witnessed Susie from Hello October swoon over this particular shade just days before on both her Youtube channel and Blog. That alone lured me in to eventually caving. 

The consistency is of a creamy liquid lipstick, holding an almost satin finish. This adds moisture, which is a great bonus considering the harsh winds and chills recently. I was kind of expecting more of a stain, but looking at the description that Rimmel gives, heightened longevity isn't exactly being promoted. 
Saying that, it definitely lasts longer than your average Gloss or lipstick, so I was quite impressed. Of course, after a meal, a top up is indeed needed, but layering doesn't seem to add any cake-ness and with it being such a strong pigmention, 1 coat is certainly enough. 

I must say, I'm quite the fan of the applicator. Although it picks up quite a bit of unneeded product, the tapered end makes it easier when lining and filling in the cupids bow.

It may be a good idea to point out that once applied, try not to touch the lips. Trust me, I learnt the hard way. Being a liquid lipstick, it doesn't really set and seen as though the pigmentation is pretty intense, it will transfer or smudge. As much as I love 'Miranda Sings', thats not the look I'm wanting to sport anytime soon.  

Other than it not really ticking the box for extended longevity, I would totally recommend this for someone who's looking for an intense pop of colour whilst attempting to avoid the dehydration. I will definitely have to pick up a lighter shade near spring and see how it fairs. 

6 comments:

  1. I really want to try this, it looks like a nice shade of red that would actually suit me! And I loved your Miranda sings reference :D x

    Yet Another Make Up Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a big fan of the Apocalips when they first came out and I think I have the majority of the original shades (although a couple I'm not keen on) but I have to admit I haven't really used them since. I must hunt them out and start using them again. I do really like the look of this new colour, it's not quite as in your face as big bang and I find big bang quite difficult to wear as it bleeds quite badly. I also found they do transfer and smudge really easily, so you do have to be careful and try and remember that you're wearing it! x

    Becky @ The Little Blog of Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely shade of red. I will keep an eye out for these the next time I am at the drugstore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Apocalips. I find it lasts a lot longer if you blot your lips with tissue after first application and then add a second layer.

    Kah-Feh Yen | YSL Rouge Volupté Lipstick Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh, will definitely have to try that next time! thanks :) xo

      Delete
  5. I still don't have any of the Rimmel Apocolips, I really want some but fear I might want to get all of them! Danielle xx

    missdanielle.com

    ReplyDelete