Sunday 26 January 2014

THOUGHTS: Maybelline Baby Skin Primer


 Of course, drugstore primers are both a blessing and a slight curse. Though there isn't a hefty price tag, It does often brake me out, or not even fulfil its job as a primer. So with that in mind, I was in fact a little skeptical when returning home with the product at hand.


There's no denying that the packaging is absolutely adorable, definitely appealing to the younger generation. However, the fact that it is advertised as a 'pore eraser' will definitely turn heads for all ages.

Now lets get a little technical. Glancing at the ingredients list, Dimethicone sits snug right at the top; mentally sparking off a few warning signs. This is essentially what gives the formula that silicone and somewhat smooth texture. However, as much as I love that smooth skin feel, this ingredient is actually well known for exacerbating acne, trapping bacteria and other impurities beneath its layer. This can often not only break you out but also increase blackheads.

For the first couple uses, I did unfortunately see an increase in breakouts, and so I stopped for about a week, letting my skin breathe. When it finally calmed down, I gave it another go and it didn't seem too bad. Though I don't suffer from particularly large pores, I did notice a difference in the few I do have around the T- zone. Although it isn't advertised, it did in fact keep me somewhat matte through the day.

I know the the whole Dimethicone shpeel may have put most of you off, but generally if you don't suffer from acne prone skin then the effects are minimal. Also, if you do suffer from enlarged pores then its definitely worth giving it ago with it being a fairly reasonable price (£7.99). However, as I am a teenager and do suffer from breakouts, I don't think I will be reaching for this product anytime soon.

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with this, I never normally suffer from acne but this broke me right out, such a disappointed for the hype. Never mind, they can't always win everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm yet to hear something good about this. Most reviews I've read are negative. I'm glad I didn't bother trying it out but I'm always tempted by Maybelline Mascaras, that next to try!

    Jenn | Photo-Jenn-ic

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen this in the wifes bag, had no idea what it was or what it did until I read this, still a bit unsure ;)
    Beautykinguk

    ReplyDelete